A natural gas heater broke at a business on North Read Street in Cinaminson's East Riverton section causing six area homes to be evacuated Sunday evening, said Fire Chief William Kramer.
The call came in shortly after 6:45 p.m. and the area should be cleaned up by 8:30 p.m. Sunday night, Kramer added.
As of 7:30 p.m. Sunday, the building was being ventilated.
"As a precaution," Kramer said, "we did evacuate six houses on North Randolph Street."
Those residents will be back in their homes shortly, Kramer said.
Workers at the business—Medical Express, located at 407 North Read Street—were operating a forklift when it struck a natural gas heater that hangs from the ceiling.
No injuries were reported.
Cinnaminson, Riverton and Palmyra squads were called to the scene.
Get breaking news like this sent directly to your inbox. Sign up for our free newsletter here.